The following is an official press release from Wicked Weed Brewing:
(Asheville, NC) – Wicked Weed Brewing Company announced a September opening for its Funkatorium on Friday. More below from the company…
The Building of a Sour Production House; Giving the Style the Respect it Deserves
Wicked Weed’s sour program was deeply ingrained in who we would be as a brewery even before our inception. Our first batches were crafted and barrel aged months before our doors ever opened to the public, and out of those first brews our deep love of the style was born.
We made a commitment early on to never cut corners producing this internationally revered style. This meant keeping our sour production separate from the primary production, investing in entirely separate equipment dedicated to all the various steps in the process. It meant rigorous cleaning, fervent patience and watchfulness while our beer aged, and a meticulous hand when blending.
Since day one we brewed all of our beer on our single brewhouse and then separated the worts to prevent any risk of contamination. To paint a picture, we were brewing beer, pumping the wort to a separate building to pitch yeast, barreling those brews, transporting them twenty minutes one way to age to our barrel house, then transferring the barrels back for the beer to be transferred into the brite tanks for packaging or movement into kegs for tapping at the brewpub. In short, it was painstaking and time consuming work.
Creating a space that is dedicated solely to the fermenting, barreling aging and packaging of sour and wild beer is the vital next step in allowing us to continue our first practices in an environment and manner befitting to this core branch of our craft. Beer will now be moved from the brewpub in barrels or in a stainless steel fermenter “on wheels” to the Funkatorium and won’t leave the premise until its ready to be put in the hands of craft beer lovers. This shift will not only decrease transport for the beer, which ultimately means more and better beer,
but is better for our staff who lovingly takes care of this product.
Opening the Funkatorium will also allow for increased cooperage. It will provide much needed room for foudres and puncheons, and ample space for beers to age in barrels for 6, 12 or even 24 months, giving us the option to create a breadth of sours beers that have a depth of flavor we can proudly put our name on.
Simply put, the space gives us the gift of time; an element Wicked Weed is willing to pursue to expand a program which we hope to continue to be a leader in for the Southeastern seaboard.
Barrel House Fact Sheet
● Wicked Weed Brewing is opening a barrel house (Funkatorium) and sour tap room. This new barrel facility will have the capacity to store up to 1000+ wine and bourbon barrels, five times the number of their previous barrel house, and will host a tasting room focused on showcasing sour and brett beers.
● This tasting room will house 16 taps, the majority of which will pour sour and wild beer. As Wicked Weed continues to make more styles of sour beer, more
varieties of sour beer will be available on tap.
● Two to three taps will remain designated for Wicked Weed’s Flagship Freak of Nature Double IPA and other seasonal non-sour brews.
● The Funkatorium will house a robust cellar list of aged sour & wild bottles.
● The tasting room will be made with the same dedication to detail that we give our beer. The bar will be made of reclaimed poplar and the tables were created by a local artisan from reclaimed heart pine that was retrieved from Old Crow Distillery in Kentucky.
● There will be outdoor space which will be an extension of our indoor space with the potential for expanding the outdoor space in the future.
● The Funkatorium is located at 147 Coxe Avenue in the South Slope region of downtown Asheville
● The Funkatorium is slated to open September 2014
● Based on conversations with the Brewers Association, there are less than a handful of breweries in the country that have created a facility completely separate from their clean beer production that is dedicated to the creation and enjoyment of sour and brett beers.